Saturday, June 4, 2011

g.n.o. with nkotbsb.

yup, you read that correctly.

on friday night, my friends, tina, allison, and i went and had our teeny bopper dreams fulfilled. we saw jordan, donnie, joey, jonathan, and danny in concert! the backstreet boys were also there, but we didn't care too much about them. we actually felt a bit like we were betraying our true loves, *nsync. (i know, i'm rereading that and am embarrassed for myself.)

this is actually the second time i saw the new kids since their big reunion a few years ago. i loved nkotb as a kid and spent many hours dreaming about them and sitting with my friends making customized bookmarks with our new kid of choice's name written all over them. (i was partial to jordan.) when my friends and i heard about the reunion, we jumped at the chance to finally see the new kids in concert. and it was so silly and ridiculous that it was so much fun. we all just about died when joey started crooning, "please don't go, girl". :)

this time around, the concert was in a much larger venue and it was a pretty equal mix of women in their late 20s and 30s who were there for nkotb and a younger crowd of women there for the backstreet boys.

and the concert? equal parts fun and lame.

there were some diehard fans there, though.
Photobucket
(an *actual* license plate.)
we definitely saw some crying going on. and i'll admit i had a good chuckle watching grown women cry over even more grown men.

Photobucket
jordin sparks opened for the kids and the boys. i had forgotten how talented she actually is!

and then, finally, nkotbsb made their grand entrance.
Photobucket

and grand it was. pyrotechnics, confetti, dancing (well, kinda) -- the whole shebang.
Photobucket

they sang lots of old favorites, which we gleefully sang along to, belting the words and dancing. "step by step" and the "hanging tough" encore were definitely highlights of the night!

but because two groups were headlining, the concert was reeeeally long. almost 4 hours! which gave me a lot of time to think and wonder...wonder about things like,

*what do the wives of the married dudes think as they watch their husbands dance around on stage?
*what does marky mark think? is he jealous and does he want to get the funky bunch back together?
*how much did they have to pare down the dance moves to account for the aging bodies doing the moves? and how sore are the guys going to be the next day?
*how many keys did they need to drop in those really high songs? not gonna lie, joey and jordan were struggling with that high falsetto.
*was jonathan's mike even on?? he looked so sad and miserable the whole time and seemed like he wanted to be anywhere but on stage reliving his boy band years. and he was the only one that didn't talk during the thank you shout outs! poor guy. i felt so sorry for him.

and the thing i wondered most about? is choi boy asleep??? my sweet sister babysat because the hubs was working. it was cb's first time being put to bed by anyone other than me or the hubs since he's been home. turns out, everything was okay aside from a mild teeny tiny freakout. ;) (much more on cb's adventures with eemo to come!)

but, silly questions and all, it was definitely fun getting out and spending time with the girls. even if the bulk of that time was spent singing/screaming along to pop songs from the 80s and 90s. holla!
Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. Ha! Too, too fun. It is kinda sad to think that THIS is what these boys are doing now, some 20-ish years later.
    Swoon... Marky Mark...

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sigh* you made me feel really old. ;-) NKOTB weren't even popular until I was in high school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is so funny! Now I'm sad for Jonathan too.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. So this might sound weird, but I never got into NKOTB but was a HUGE BSB fan. I went to two concerts (yes, it was in college...yikes!). So I won't judge you if you won't judge me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. bringing back memories of my first nkotb concert! glad you had fun and your questions cracked me up because I would be thinking random things like that too...and glad that cb did great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. all i have to say is N.K.O.T.B.S.B! N.K.O.T.B.S.B!!!

    lol!!! thanks for the fun g.n.o. and i don't care what you say, donnie is foine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha cannot believe that you went! so fun! i wasn't super into them but i def know all the songs. cracks me up reading your post. let's see if they make it all the way here... hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMgoodness, I'm going to the Chicago NKOTBSB concert in a few weeks! :-) My sister has always been a BSB fan and convinced me to go with her. Back in the day, I rocked out to many-a New Kids song. Good stuff! I'm loving this preview of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I found your blog because of the comment you left at Korean-Adoption. You wrote there that you're a Korean-American and adopting a Korean child. As a Korean adoptee myself, I'd love to talk about my own experiences if you're interested. I've got a lot of good to share, but a lot of bad, too, and I'm beginning to open up about it all over at The Lit Pub, where the primary goal is to talk about books.

    The book I'm talking about begins with daughter-loss, with stillbirth, and I'm responding to it by talking about the mother-loss I experienced when mine died and I was given up for adoption.

    I hope you'll come join us today as we begin discussing the book -- Lidia Yuknavitch's The Chronology of Water. Although her story isn't about adoption, it is about family and motherhood and sisterhood and everything else that makes us human. And I'd love to hear your thoughts there.

    Sincerely,
    Molly

    P.S. Today's post is here: http://thelitpub.com/chapter-one-the-chronology-of-water/

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun night for you! I will say I was way too cool for NKOTB, but I'm a wee bit older than you too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol!! Grace you are the coolest! i have to say..i think marky mark is not really jealous..he's uber rich with all his movies and hbo series. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! Good times! :) That's so funny. Actually a very nice woman in my neighborhood is a HUGE NKOTB fan. I liked them when I was younger (first concert I ever went to) but too much work to go now. I'm old! Although *Nsync - you had me there... ;) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, how fun is that! Although gotta say, nsync was my fav. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So fun!! I have to admit that I went to a Backstreet Boy's concert back when I was in university, and it was a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK, this post had me giggling the whole time. While I wasn't really into the boy bands ... I can appreciate so much of this. And you know what I'm thinking?? Holy cow, Spencer is definitely NOT allowed to be in a boy band.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds like the perfect GNO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hilarious. That concert has been or will be in Toronto shortly as well. Like Kortney commented, I never was really into NKOTB, but I was a BSB fan in university...except I only went to one concert, not two :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. OK...I am offically old. Yep. I took my LITTLE SISTER and her friends to the NKOTB when they were "the sha-zam" back in the day. I guess that means you could be my little sister, Grace. Actually...I'd be WAY cool with that. :-) Glad you had a fun time.

    ReplyDelete

why, hello there! do you have something to say? 'cause i'd so love to hear it!